The Corporate Women
Where Women are reshaping the corporate world

What Licenses and Registrations Must be Obtained to Legally Operate a Business?


Before women entrepreneurs can lawfully operate their businesses, it’s vital to secure the necessary licenses and registrations from federal, state, and local authorities. The precise documentation and procedures might differ based on your business structure and location. 

Here, we outline some of the essential licenses and registrations that women entrepreneurs should consider obtaining.

Articles of Incorporation and Operating Agreements

To formalise your business as an official entity, corporations are required to submit articles of incorporation. These articles contain crucial details such as the business name, purpose, structure, stock information, and more. Similarly, some Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) may need to draft an operating agreement to outline their company’s operations.

Doing Business as (DBA)

If you do not have an operating agreement or articles of incorporation, you will need to register your business name. This can be your legal name, a fictitious Doing Business As (DBA) name (common for sole proprietors), or a name you’ve chosen for your company. Consider trademarking your business name to bolster legal protection. Many states mandate DBA registration, so consult your local county clerk’s office for specific prerequisites and associated fees.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Upon registering your business, you may need to secure an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS. While sole proprietors without employees are not obligated to obtain an EIN, it can be advantageous for segregating personal and business taxes or preparing for future hiring. You can conveniently apply for an EIN online at no cost.

Income Tax Forms

Depending on your business structure, you must file specific federal and state income tax forms. Peruse your state’s website for insights into state-specific and local tax obligations. Employ online tax software to facilitate the quarterly and annual filing and payment of taxes.

Federal, State, and Local Licenses and Permits

Certain businesses may necessitate federal, state, or local licenses and permits to operate legally. Reach out to your local city hall to procure a business license, and consult the Small Business Administration (SBA) database for state and industry-specific licensing prerequisites.

Professional Licenses

Certain trades and professions may mandate professional licenses for businesses and independent contractors. Examples include Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDLs) for operating specific types of vehicles, categorised into classes A, B, and C.

Seller’s Permit

Confirm with your city and state whether you require a seller’s permit to collect sales tax from customers. The terminology of this permit may vary depending on the state. Register for a seller’s permit via the state government website(s) relevant to your business operations.


It is imperative to acknowledge that licensing prerequisites and naming conventions can diverge from state to state. Additionally, not all businesses are obligated to collect sales tax or obtain a seller’s permit, contingent on the nature of their products or services. Seeking counsel from a licensed attorney or a business advisor can furnish valuable guidance in navigating these legal obligations.

Remember, initiating your business on a strong legal footing will facilitate smooth operations in the long term, averting unnecessary complications.



Leave a comment